What is this wiki for?
The purpose of this site is to create collaborative space for celebration of Wikipedia's tenth anniversary. The Wikimedia Foundation is committed to enabling a global, distributed group of events for this milestone. We've broken this down into four rough activities, though new ideas for things to do are most definitely welcome.
- A list of all the events that will happen, which you can currently find on the Main Page and the Event category. Lots of organizing work is happening on other wikis and off-wiki, such as through Facebook events. That's great, and of course we want that to continue. But having a single list of what's happening is immensely useful for organizers, attendees, and the press. Anyone who has used RecentChanges or a watchlist knows the value of a centralized inventory of decentralized activity.
- On-wiki activities for reflecting on our anniversary and conveying the magnitude of our first decade of work. There is a list of preliminary ideas on the Share and Ideas pages (ideas are fine, please don't add birthday wishes there).
- Providing a space to gather resources for organizers, including a basic Community Communications Kit and a set of anniversary designs intended for localization and customization, as well as use in merchandise such as t-shirts and buttons that will be provided to organizers for free.
- A place to document everything that goes on at the events. Encouraging taking photos, video, and making written records of what everyone is up to in their celebrations is essential. Sharing the cool things that you're doing will be both a gift to other Wikimedians who can't be there, and will create a permanent record of our first double-digit anniversary.
Why is there no event in my city?
All of the events are created and led by local volunteers on their own initiative. The events in those cities are because people are working hard to make them happen. If you think there should be an event in your city, then start one.
Why is our event not in the list, on the map or on the calendar?
- You should add the event on the Template:EventList, or on the Main Page in your langguage.
- The event should also be added on the Template:Eventmap
- The calendar is based on categories. Add a date category to your event, like Category:2011-01-15.
Why did you choose this domain? Doesn't it conflict with a regular Wikipedia?
Wikipedians or those otherwise familiar with language codes will note that three letter domains in the wikipedia.org mainspace are generally reserved for ISO codes to represent existing or potential Wikipedias in new languages. In an ideal situation, we would have chosen to situate this site at 10.wikipedia.org, but this wasn't possible due to technical limitations. Thus, the English "ten" was chosen.
This would normally not be an option since it conflicts with an ISO code. However, because the language it represents, Tama of Colombia, is extinct (and never had a literate tradition), there is no danger of impairing our mission to build an encyclopedia in every native tongue. This conclusion has been confirmed in discussion with members of the Wikimedia Language Committee.
What's the hashtag again?
try #wp10 (Twitter) | (identi.ca)