We are planning to hold a special event / celebration on Saturday, January 22 in Washington DC at the National Archives
- January 22, 2011 (10 AM - 4:45 PM - coffee & arrival beginning at 9 AM)
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), downtown building (Pennsylvania Avenue & 7th St NW)
- Enter on the Constitution Ave side of the building where there are two entrances (1) for special events, including WikiXDC -- closer to 7th St, open at 9am and there will be signs for the event (2) the main entrance for tourists is also on Constitution Ave but doesn't open until 10am
- Arrival & registration: between 9am - 10am, there will be coffee and snacks, and this is a chance to socialize.
- Please bring a photo id which you need for security upon entering the building.
- Agenda in a nutshell
- Morning sessions begin at 10am, with welcome from NARA (US Archivist, David Ferriero), then presentations by NARA, tour, & unconference sessions.
- Lunch will be on your own. (12:30 - 1:30 pm)
- Nearby places include Teaism (8th & D St NW), Ella's Wood Fired Pizza (9th St, between F & G St), Austin Grill (E St, between 7th & 8th), Cosi (10th & E), Qdoba (E St, between 10th & 11th), and numerous options on 7th St across from the Verizon Center (e.g. California Tortilla, Chop'T Salad, Potbelly, Fuddruckers, ...).
- Lightning talks, unconference sessions, trivia, and cupcakes will be in the afternoon at the Archives.
- Happy Hour begins at 5:15 pm at Capitol City Brewery (11th & H St NW).
- #wikixdc (#wp10 is the general tag for all anniversary events)
- follow Sarah_Stierch on Twitter for a wiki live twitter feed..
- Event Video
- View and download from here
The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) wants to get in on the celebration! We're planning to host a DC-area meetup at the National Archives building in Washington, DC on January 22, 2011. The day-long event will feature a behind the scenes tour followed by talks with records management and conservation experts explaining how the records get into the archives.
As we plan, we'd love for you to chime in. Are there specific aspects of NARA's work that you'd like to learn more about? Steps in the records lifecycle that have you a little curious? Archival or research processes that could benefit from some deeper exploration? Let us know here and we'll work on building a day tailored to the group's interests as much as possible. We think we have a lot of great information to share, and we're looking forward to getting started! Plus, there'll be cupcakes to wish Wikipedia a happy anniversary.
- The plan below is in Draft mode and will undergo changes as we get closer to the date.
- Maybe make some of the talks into shorter lightning talks so more people have an opportunity to talk
- Session 1 - A Morning with Wikipedia
|9:00 AM - 10:00 AM||Reporting at the venue, collecting name tags, swag, and coffee|
|10:00 AM - 10:30 AM||Welcome from Wikimedia and NARA + video message from Jimmy Wales|
|10:30 AM - 11:20 AM||NARA Presentations (Records Management, Conservation, Kennedy Assassination Records, Digitization & Online Public Access)|
|11:20 AM - 12:30 PM||Unconference session||Unconference session|
|Tour: NARA - Behind the scenes (30 min duration; 4 groups of 15)|
|12:30 PM - 1:30 PM||Lunch on your own|
|1:30 PM - 2:30 PM||
Lightning talks - GLAM + Wikimedia
|2:30 PM - 2:40 PM||Break (restroom, water,...)|
|2:40 PM - 3:30 PM||
Lightning talks - Wikimedia
|3:30 PM - 4:00 PM||Happy 10th Birthday cupcakes & FedFlix screening|
|4:00 PM - 4:30 PM||Team Trivia||Unconference session|
|4:30 PM - 4:45 PM||Vote of Thanks, hugs/tears, and wind up the day|
Happy hour & more celebrating!
|5:15 - 8:00 PM||Happy hour Capitol City Brewery|
11th & H St NW (near Metro Center & across from old convention center / now parking lot & megabus stop)
- There will be t-shirts, stickers, buttons, and other goodies for attendees.
- Please sign-up to help ...
We will need a few folks to be at the registration table in the morning, help with cleanup at lunch & afternoon, etc. Anyone who wants to be so kind and help out some, please sign here:
- User:Lexieroseme - can no longer attend. Sorry.
- Dean Housden
- User:Shearonink - sure I'll help out wherever needed
- User:Cstmoore - I can help before the event (organizing?) in addition to the event itself.
- bSteidle - I'll be arriving early and would be happy to help out at the registration desk, etc.
A big thanks to our sponsors and host for WikiXDC! Without them, none of this would be possible.
- National Archives and Records Administration - for the venue and hosting us.
- Georgetown Cupcake - in-kind donation of cupcakes!
- Wikimedia Foundation - for swag and a grant towards food
Please RSVP soon as possible, as there is a cut-off of 135 attendees maximum.
Due to space constraints, tour participation will be limited to 60 people (4 tours of 15 people each). The tours will be in the morning. In the morning, we will give out timed *tickets* for the tours on a first-come first-served basis, when you sign-in at the registration table.
Also, please update if you register and then change your mind, so that others can attend.
Please remember to bring a photo ID, such as a drivers' license, to enter the building. Also, if you'd like to help speed things along, please send an email with your first and last name to socialmedianara.gov, in addition to signing up here. We're compiling a guest list to pass along to security so that they have a heads up on who's coming, but we promise not to share the list with anyone else. If you'd rather not send your real name ahead of time, that's okay too, it may just take a little bit longer to get though security.
Attending Happy Hour (but not the day event)
Happy Hour begins at 5:15 PM at Capitol City Brewery, Metro Center (11th & H St NW).
- Sign here
Not attending, but inform me about future events
- JoshDropD 09:39, 3 January 2011 (UTC) Sorry everyone, I can't make it. But could someone pick me up some swag?
- Nix for me, unfortunately. Have other plans for that day. SchuminWeb 02:42, 7 January 2011 (UTC)
- Would love to make it, but alas, no ride (I don't drive). Have fun. :) - Neutralhomer 05:56, 7 January 2011 (UTC)
- I can't make it due to other plans, but good to know that Wikipedia's been this successful. Have fun! - Porsche1080 20:51, 9 January 2011 (UTC)
- Out of town, but cheers! Mheart 04:07, 12 January 2011 (UTC)
- Studying for medical boards unfortunately, but totally wanted to. Fosterche 22:52, 12 January 2011 (UTC)
- Can't make it, but I am in town Jan 24-27 if any wikimedians are hanging around.Dcmacnut 04:16, 14 January 2011 (UTC)
- Sadly, I will be out of state that week. Have fun, everyone! 188.8.131.52 16:51, 16 January 2011 (UTC)
- Would love to go, but other events call my attention, so...have fun celebrating anyway! TheBlueWizard 23:31, 21 January 2011 (UTC)
- I have to cancel due to bad cold. Krscal 12:28, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
- I'm also out due to illness. :( Happy Birthday, Wikipedia! Tiffany 13:36, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
Attending: Tiffany 22:50, 6 January 2011 (UTC)
If you are with the news media and would like to attend or have questions, please email us:
- Drosenthal (WMF) - for inquiries regarding the Wikimedia Foundation.
To be informed about future events in DC, please sign-up for our mailing list:
Share photographs from the event here! There is also a Flickr group dedicated to the event, where you can leave comments and share more photos as well.
Our faithful leader of the day, User:Aude welcomes us!
These are the Civil War documents of Walt Whitman's brother, George.
Thomas Gideon talks FedFlix.
User:Mindspillage talks about great moments in Wikipedia history.
Wikipedian PJ Tabit talks about his experiences as a Wikipedia Ambassador
Cupcakes donated by Georgetown Cupcake
User:Sageross is a sore loser :(
Unable to attend? Check out these links to see what you missed out on!