- 15 January 2011, Saturday
Wikipedia celebrates its tenth anniversary globally on the 15th of January 2011. Wikimedia will celebrate this milestone with volunteers, donors, and other supporters on six continents. From the launch of a new outreach project in Kenya to a film screening in Tel Aviv, there are currently 110+ events planned worldwide. Our celebration events are open to participation by anyone who wants to join in reflecting on our collective accomplishments and goals for the future.
Wikipedians and well wishers in India are celebrating the tenth anniversary in a big way, with celebrations being planned 20+ cities across India. Bengaluru is one of the active hubs for Wikipedians in India.
As part of the celebrations, we are organising a day-long meetup in Bengaluru on Saturday the 15th of Jan, 2011. We expect it to be attended by about 250 Wikipedia enthusiasts along with Wikimedia Foundation officials from California and guest speakers. We intend to connect Wikipedians with the general public and other focus groups in the city. There would be sessions to introduce Wikimedia projects to the public with a view to spur both consumption and creation of knowledge on various Wikimedia projects. There would also be updates from various Wikimedia projects as well as joint project planning sessions with various city focus groups. We expect active Wikipedians, academia and any one interested in Wikipedia to participate in the event. In addition, we believe there will be much interest from the Free and Open Source communities and other professionals.
- National Institute of Advanced Studies (Website),
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India - 560012.
- ( Google Maps)
- ( Route Map)
- Wikimedia Community in Bengaluru
Evening session: Main Public event
Time: 17:00 to 20:15 IST
Audience: Everyone is invited. (Every Wikipedian!)
Purpose: Communicate Wikipedia Mission, facts, showcase its coolness, reach out to public, share India focus, discussion.
- 04:30 PM Coffee and Networking
- 05:00 PM Welcome and Introductions by Gautam John
- 05:15 PM Did you know (DYK) on Wikipedia & Wikipedia video snippets by Srikanth L.
- 05:45 PM 06:00 PM "Namma Wikipedia" - Sharing of audience experience of using Wikipedia facilitated Hari Prasad Nadig
- 06:00 PM Invited Talk
- Lawrence Liang - Legal researcher, lawyer and Author (more)
- 06:30 PM "How I became a Wikipedian" - sharing of experiences by Wikipedia contributors by Sundar
- 06:45 PM Live address by Jimmy Wales via skype
- 07:00 PM Short Break
- 07:10 PM Chapter update by Hari Prasad Nadig
- What is chapter, need for it, Impact on public policy making towards open access, Call for support, Current status.
- 07:20 PM Panel Discussion on Wikipedia by Arun Ramarathnam
- Wikipedia, India and the opportunities ahead
Forenoon session: Segment 1: Wikipedian Community
Time: 09:00 to 13:00 IST
Audience: Wikipedia editors (others welcome too)
Purpose: Share Updates, experiences and Best practices
- 09:00-09:30: Welcome, Networking, Informal introductions by Sundar
- 09:30-10:30: State of Wikimedia India-> reports from all Indian Wikipedia communities. (in person or remotely)
- 10:30-11:30: Discussion: Expectations from the Chapter. Facilitated by Arun Ramarathnam.
- 11:30-11:45: Tea Break
- 11:45-13:00: Discussion: Plans for the Year 2011. Facilitated by Sundar
- Outreach, India Wikimedia event, Wikimania, Coordination between cities, Translation initiatives, Offline CD
Afternoon session: Segment 2: Connect with other city Special Interest Groups
Time: 14:00 to 16:30 IST
Audience: Wikipedians and SIG members (others welcome too)
Purpose: Discuss the Wikipedia status on the themes and explore possibilities of collaboration and strategies for 2011.
- Kannada - HPN
- Malayalam -Shiju
- Tamil -Sundar
- Telugu .. Arjuna
- Others (tbd)
- Wikipedia as an aid in the study of birds
- Photography and Wikipedia.
- Mediawiki & Extensions
- Hacking around Wikipedia
- Offline & Mobile Wikipedia
- Using bots for automated tasks with an emphasis on Pywikipediabot
NIAS is located in the northwest corner of the IISc campus. The inside 'dirt road' from IISc is now blocked, so it's easier to come around from outside, through Mathikere or else through Ramaiah College complex. If you cut through IISc campus you have to exit the gate into Matikere and come back in through the NIAS main gate.
The NIAS main gate is located next to the back arch (not the front gate) of the Ramaiah College complex, which is the best landmark to reach here. If you are coming from town (MG Rd etc), go north on Sankey Road up to Mekhri Circle, take a left there on to CV Raman Road. (If you are coming from Jayamahal Road you will go straight at Mekhri Circle, if coming from the airport direction, it's a right turn.) Continue down that road to the second signal, which is at CNR Rao Circle. The Main Gate of the IISc campus is on your right (sharp right).
Take a right turn (not the sharp right into the campus) to enter the M.S. Ramaiah Road; continue for about a kilometer till you come to the Ramaiah Circle (first signal after CNR Rao Circle). Take a right turn at that signal and continue down that road; you will be following the IISc campus wall. When you come to a fork in the road, follow the right fork. At the T-junction take another right. Soon you will see the NIAS gate on your right.
From MG Road it should take about 30 minutes to reach the campus.
Stop Name: Ramaiah College Stop
- 273, #273c, #271, #271D, #271K, #99B #271B
- ShivajiNagar/Cantonment/Mekhri Circle
- 270A, #276A
- Kengeri/Nagarbhavi/Magadi Road/West of Chord Road
- 401K, #401R, #401E
- Hampi Nagar/West of Chord Road
- Facebook Invite: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=178749165493183
Interested in volunteering ? Join Bangalore Wikimedia mailing list and then send a mail to wikimedia-in-blrlists.wikimedia.org
- w:commons:Category:Wikipedia 10 Bangalore
- 04-Jan: The Economic Times : 20 there, 20 more: Wikipedias in local language to bloom
- 05-Jan: SiliconIndia : Wikipedia aims to expand reach through local languages
- 05-Jan: The Hindu : "Using Wikipedia to change the language of the Web"
- 07-Jan: (in Telugu) Oneindia.in : Wikipedia celebrating its tenth anniversary (Telugu)
- 07-Jan: MyBangalore.com : Wikipedia to celebrate 10th anniversary with a meet-up in Bangalore
- 09-Jan: The Hindu : Happy Birthday, Wikipedia!
- 09-Jan: (in Kannada) Oneindia.in : Wikipedia 10th Anniversary 'Bangalore Loves Wikipedia Photo walk (Kannada)
- 12-Jan: The Hindu: Wikipedia's birthday bash in Bangalore
- 13-Jan: (in Kannada)Oneindia.in : Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Bangalore
- 14-Jan : Infocera : Wikipedia to organise 60 events in India to mark its 10th anniversary
- 14-Jan: The Telegraph Calcutta : "Birthday bash for Wikipedians"
- 14-Jan : Times of India : Wikipedia to increase local language content
- 14-Jan : DNA: Wikipedia India chapter to become a reality
- 14-Jan : PTI / Deccan Herald : Wikimedia India Chapter takes shape as Wikipedia turns 10
- 15-Jan : Oneindia.in:Wikipedia 10, aims big on Indian languages
- 15-Jan: (in Kannada)Oneindia.in : Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Celebrations NIAS, IISc, Bengaluru
- 16-Jan : DNA: Bangalore celebrates Wikipedia’s 10th birthday ( pdf, Scan)
- 16-Jan : Times of India : Wikipedia to push vernacular content (Scan)
- 16-Jan : Times of India : India to be a key player
- 16-Jan : Times of India : Wikimedia's India chapter in Bangalore
- 18-Jan : Deccan Chronicle : Fact of the matter (epaper
We had a great event with more than 235+ attendees. Please add the key takeaways from the sessions you attended/led at Key Takeaways page on wikimedia.in site.