From Wikipedia 10
Dombivli / डोम्बीवली (District: Thane, Maharashtra, India)
- 15 January 2011
- 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Recruiting for and Pledging Activism in support of Free Knowledge Society and Economy and a Brainstorming session on "Leveraging Wikipedia for Social Good" will happen. Guest Lecture will also be arranged; topics for the same are being discussed. We, at Get Up for Change (GUC), have noticed that Wikipedia, although an outstanding innovative piece of brilliance, has failed to be of much help for social good like upliftment of the poor and the needy. We want this to change. Therefore we will be holding brainstorming sessions to come up with innovative ideas for the same on 15th January. We hope to have sessions at Dombivli and IIT Kharagpur (GUC has presence in these places).
- 17, Gokul Apartments, Off Karve Road, Vishnu Nagar, Dombivli (West) - 421202
- Get Up for Change (It is a Non-Profit Organization; Contact Ritesh Singh at yashvant.riteshgmail.com for more information regarding the event and/or Get Up for Change)
Some initial ideas that we have to begin the session are:
- Having a lite Wikipedia Mirror so that it can reach lower sections of the society easily; to people who cannot afford internet at reasonable speeds.
- Having a Brainstorming Project under Wikipedia, the pages of which will not be representation of facts but will be discussion platforms for ideas and innovation. Wikipedia rules will not apply that strictly to the pages to encourage free flow of thought and ideas. The project will hope to become collaboration platform for the world to invent and innovate.
- To inspire and motivate thinking on these lines, we would urge the participants to donate the Wikipedia merchandise that they will be getting (and anything more if they would like to). We would donate ours while requesting them to do so.